Services have been held for Army National Guard Sgt. Patrick McCaffrey, 34, who was killed in Iraq on June 22.
Army Col. J. Douglas Serrano has taken over as commander of Defense Distribution Center San Joaquin.
West High’s Brittany Daniels set a new record of 44 feet, 11.75 inches for the junior triple-jump at the USA Junior Track and Field championships at College Station, Texas.
Three interns are spending the summer on the Press news staff. They are Annie Rapaport, reporter; Melanie Smith, copy editor and page designer; and Eric Neitzel, photographer.
Work is underway to expand the water- and sewage-treatment plants at Mountain House.
Tracy’s Fourth of July celebration at Lincoln Park has been called a success by Mike Schmidt, CEO of the sponsoring Tracy Chamber of Commerce.
25 years ago — 1989
Robert Kenner has been proposed as the name of the new park to be developed next to Jacobson School in northwest Tracy. Kenner was a longtime Tracy Boy Scout leader.
Tracy firefighter Bill Bivings pedaled his bicycle 160 miles to raise funds for the American Lung Association.
James Maneely of Tracy has become student representative of Delta College’s board of trustees.
Carlos Ferreyra, co-owner of Sports World of Tracy, is the new president of the Tracy Sunrise Rotary Club.
The Tracy City Council has approved plans for the 164-lot Hearthstone subdivision west of Tracy Boulevard and south of Schulte Road.
A number of softball players are protesting increases in city softball facilities fees.
50 years ago — 1964
John DeMatei has come to Tracy from Angels Camp to be the new PG&E manager here. He succeeds Tom Martin, who is retiring after 35 years with the utility.
Tracy Jaycees served pancakes in the morning and barbecued chicken in the afternoon during Tracy’s Fourth of July celebration.
A group of young Tracy folk singers performed at the Lincoln Park celebration. The group was composed of Mike Borges, Shirley Ybanez, Barbara Jacobson, Carol Jacobson and Rich Paulson.
Teams representing the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars took part in a donkey baseball game at the Tracy Ballpark.
The Progress Edition of the Tracy Press, published in 1963, has won second place in nationwide newspaper judging.
75 years ago — 1939
Highway 50 (11th Street) through Tracy was jammed with cars over the Fourth of July weekend.
Work has been started to rebuild the Peterson Café at the corner of 11th and B streets.
George Imrie, U.S. Bureau of Reclamation representative in the Tracy area, is the new president of the Tracy Rotary Club.
Tracy Chief of Police F.G. Wise is among the finalists for the chief’s job in Tucson, Ariz.
A group of Tracy residents went to the latest City Council meeting to present a petition urging the council to begin development of the new park site just north of Lincoln Manor homes. (The park land, given to the city by the Slack family, became Lincoln Park.)
100 years ago — 1914
The Tracy Board of Trustees (City Council) has approved plans to construct sidewalks on Sixth through 10 streets.
Engineers from San Francisco have surveyed the proposed location of an irrigation district around Tracy. They were accompanied by local officials.
Young men with musical talents have been asked to join a Tracy community band now being organized.
— Tracy Press archives