Bloodless bullfights in Campo Pequeno, the bullring behind the Portuguese Hall, capped off the annual IPFES Holy Ghost festa. Luis Gonzalves and “Parrita,” both of Portugal, were the featured matadors.
Sisters Jenn and Jill Toepfer are both substitute teachers in Tracy Unified School District.
Ryan Scornaienchi hit a grand-slam home run to lead the Tracy Junior American Mariners to a 16-0 win over Salida in the Tournament of Champions.
A survey of local businesses found optimism for the future voiced by most responders.
Tracy resident and ex-49er Keena Turner hosted his annual golf tournament at Diablo Country Club in Danville. Proceeds went to the Tracy Boys and Girls Clubs.
Tracy Interfaith Ministries is working with local restaurants to raise funds for programs helping Tracy families in need.
25 years ago — 1989
Tracy host families are being sought for four students in the Youth for Understanding program. Two of the students are from Germany and one each from the Netherlands and Denmark.
Center Appliance, the Manteca-based company that has been selling and servicing appliances in Tracy since 1972, has moved to new quarters at the corner of East 11th and F streets.
A lamb shown by Holly Robinson, a member of the Roberts-Union 4-H Club, has won grand champion market lamb honors at the San Joaquin County Fair.
Dancers of the Banta Ballet are presenting “Fairytale Ballet” at Tracy Branch Library.
The Tracy Angels clinched the Northern Division title of the Mexican-American baseball league with an 11-1 win over Planada. Kenny Serrano and Robbie Selna homered for the Angels.
50 years ago — 1964
Tracy residents plan to celebrate the Fourth of July at Tracy Municipal Airport, where an all-day air show will be held. Planes performing aerobatics, a wing-walker and parachutists will be featured.
Trustees of the Jefferson School District have approved inaugurating the district’s first kindergarten class in the fall.
Tracy High School graduate Meg Myles has a role in the television comedy “The Missing Bank of Rupert X. Humperdink.”
Sgt. George Norris, 50, has resigned from the Tracy Police Department. After Korean War duty, he became a sworn officer in 1954.
Tom Hawkins has been installed as president of the Tracy Lions Club during a dinner at Tracy Golf and Country Club.
Pee Wee League baseball play is beginning for boys 8½ to 10 years old. Older boys play in the National and American leagues, all sponsored by the Tracy Recreation Commission.
Harry Eagan, one of Tracy’s first residents in 1878, has died at the age of 86.
75 years ago — 1939
Eight people from San Francisco drowned when their vehicle plunged off Clinton Court Ferry Road into Old River. Two in the car survived.
Temperatures have soared in the Tracy area, with the thermometer hitting 110 degrees.
The estate of Annie Fabian, widow of pioneer Tracy merchant Philip Fabian, has been reported to total $193,504.
A new school for pilots is reportedly earmarked for Tracy Municipal Airport.
100 years ago — 1914
Low prices being paid to farmers for barley and alfalfa hay have sparked new interest in expanding irrigation in the Tracy area, so different crops can be planted.
Trustees of the Tracy Elementary School District have asked Principal C.S. Nesbitt to resign after he engaged in a dispute with a teacher.
— Tracy Press archives