Fire possibly started by dryer
by Joel Danoy
Jan 16, 2013 | 3952 views | 1 1 comments | 15 15 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Byron Road blaze
A Tracy fire crewman pours water on a burning pile of debris at the house fire on 2590 W. Byron Road on Wednesday, Jan.16.  Glenn Moore/Tracy Press
view slideshow (4 images)
A large plume of smoke could be seen on the western skyline of Tracy late in the afternoon Wednesday, Jan. 16, when a one-story home caught fire.

At the scene, resident Ron Johnson said he returned home to 2590 W. Byron Road from grocery shopping just after 4 p.m. to find heavy smoke coming from his house.

Johnson said he lives alone with his two dogs.

“I went to the front door and my dogs are in there, my baby girl and baby boy are in there, so I opened the door and all kinds of smoke came out, and I yelled for them but they didn’t come,” he said. “I knew what was happening, so I went to the back and pushed that door open and then I got the water hose and started spraying it.”

When some of the smoke cleared, Johnson said he saw flames coming from the laundry room area. He had started the dryer prior to leaving for the store.

“I saw the flames, and I know I left the dryer on, but that’s not illegal,” he said. “I’m just hoping I can save some of my clothes, because everything I own is in there and now I’m going to have nothing.”

Johnson still had not found his dogs about an hour after the fire was reported.

It’s possible that the flames were fueled by the large amount of garbage and personal belongings that were piled around the house.

Jim Decker, a Tracy code enforcement officer, said at the scene it’s still being determined if that was a factor in the fire spreading.

However, he said that the landlord of the residence has been cited for excess rubbish and for noncompliant work on the house’s electrical and plumbing systems. Those warnings were heeded when the landlord complied by cleaning the property.

“We need to put out the flames and get people out of the building, and this (the rubbish) contributes to more time it takes to do those things,” he said. “That’s what people need to understand. I know they love their things, but they need to do it within reason.”

The structure of the home remained standing, though the inside appeared destroyed by water and flames.

No injuries were reported, and none of the surrounding houses were affected by the fire.

Tracy fire officials were unavailable to speak at the scene.

• Contact Joel Danoy at 830-4229 or

Comments-icon Post a Comment
January 17, 2013
Ron actually used to live near me...the dogs are a red and white and black and white border collie/australian shepherd type of dogs...they're very sweet but they may be scared.

and quite literally...their names are Baby Boy and Baby Girl. If anyone finds them...take them to the shelter and let them know that they belong to this gentleman. he really does care about those 2.

We encourage readers to share online comments in this forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a space for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Comments that stray from the topic of the story or are found to contain abusive language are subject to removal at the Press’ discretion, and the writer responsible will be subject to being blocked from making further comments and have their past comments deleted. Readers may report inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at