According to Tracy Fire Department Division Chief Andy Kellogg, the homeowner told firefighters she had left a burning candle in the garage attached to her house and forgot about it.
She called 911 after she discovered the fire.
Five fire engines responded to the single-family home at 21 Ameno Lane at 8:05 p.m., Kellogg said. Firefighters saw heavy smoke and flames coming out of the closed garage door, he said.
They battled the fire from inside the house using the entrance between the house and garage, Kellogg said. The fire was under control within a half hour.
No injures were reported to responding fire crews or the occupants of the house — a woman and three teenagers.
The fire destroyed the contents of the garage, including a car and SUV parked inside, and caused about $25,000 worth of damage to the house.
The occupants of the house declined assistance from the American Red Cross and were reportedly getting help from family and friends, Kellogg said.
• Contact Denise Ellen Rizzo at 830-4225 or firstname.lastname@example.org.