Friday fire torches garage
by Denise Ellen Rizzo
Jan 02, 2013 | 2874 views | 0 0 comments | 7 7 recommendations | email to a friend | print
MOUNTAIN HOUSE — An unattended candle in a house garage caused a fire that destroyed two vehicles on the 100 block of Ameno Lane in Mountain House on Friday, Dec. 28.

According to Tracy Fire Department Division Chief Andy Kellogg, the homeowner told firefighters she had left a burning candle in the garage attached to her house and forgot about it.

She called 911 after she discovered the fire.

Five fire engines responded to the single-family home at 21 Ameno Lane at 8:05 p.m., Kellogg said. Firefighters saw heavy smoke and flames coming out of the closed garage door, he said.

They battled the fire from inside the house using the entrance between the house and garage, Kellogg said. The fire was under control within a half hour.

No injures were reported to responding fire crews or the occupants of the house — a woman and three teenagers.

The fire destroyed the contents of the garage, including a car and SUV parked inside, and caused about $25,000 worth of damage to the house.

The occupants of the house declined assistance from the American Red Cross and were reportedly getting help from family and friends, Kellogg said.

• Contact Denise Ellen Rizzo at 830-4225 or

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet

We encourage readers to share online comments in this forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a space for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Comments that stray from the topic of the story or are found to contain abusive language are subject to removal at the Press’ discretion, and the writer responsible will be subject to being blocked from making further comments and have their past comments deleted. Readers may report inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at