Grand opening ceremonies for the plaza are scheduled at 11 a.m., according to press release from the Tracy Parks and Community Services Department, only the first of many events planned for the paved and sodded plaza.
Kim Scarlata, parks and community services recreation manager, said the plaza will play host to a different event every Friday night during the summer, making it a centerpiece for community events.
“During the summer, we will always have events every Friday at the plaza,” she said this week. “People will know there is something — from a big block party to a smaller event — going on there.:
The $3.8 million plaza, paid for by the now-defunct redevelopment agency, will kick off its summer 2012 schedule with the Downtown Block Party series May 4, with a Cinco de Mayo celebration featuring mariachis and a Latin salsa band.
Scarlata said it has been the city’s plan to move several events that had been at different locations in downtown to the plaza after it opened.
“It gives businesses surrounding the plaza new people to shop — it’s another way to drive people to downtown,” she said.
Cars are once again parking in front of the businesses that line the east side of Sixth Street, as the lot was finished and opened in late March. The businesses have the option of closing some of that parking space to create sidewalk dining areas.
Fences around the grass, benches and new interactive water feature at the plaza are slated to come down just in time for the grand opening.
• May 11, 6 to 10 p.m.; Girl’s Night Out! Pink Party “It’s Derby Time;” $20 per ticket
• June 8, 6 to 9 p.m.; Downtown Block Party; Blues and Brews
• June 22, 6 to 9 p.m.; Downtown Block Party; Old Time Rock and Roll 50s & 60s Night, along with a Taste of Tracy
• July 13, 6:30 p.m.; Movie on the Downtown Plaza; “Hugo”
• July 13, 6:30 p.m.; Movie on the Downtown Plaza; “Smurfs”
• Aug. 3; 6 to 9 p.m.; Downtown Block Party; Boots and Buckles Country Night
• Aug. 10 6:30 p.m.; Movie on the Downtown Plaza; “Dolphin Tale”
• Aug. 24; 6 to 9 p.m.; Downtown Block Party; Classic Rock Night
• Oct. 26, 6 to 10 p.m.; Girl’s Night Out! Witches and Broomsticks, $20 per ticket