The life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. were celebrated at the annual MLK Day program at the Tracy Community Center. Black Student Union members from Tracy and West highs sponsored the annual event.
A 3½-acre park on Lankershire Drive in west Tracy was dedicated in the name of former Mayor Richard O. Hastie.
Enrollment in Tracy Unified School District has increased in the past decade (1991-2001) from 8,243 to 14,515.
Plans for an Old River Park on an island north of Tracy are being met with opposition from area farmers, who fear the impact of public access.
The city of Tracy is seeking federal funds to help with reconstruction of MacArthur Drive between 11th Street and Schulte Road.
Funeral services have been held for Helen E. Strunk, 83, a retired teacher at Jefferson School.
West High’s girls basketball team is ranked first in the Sac-Joaquin Section Division II standings after defeating crosstown rival Tracy, 71-52.
25 years ago — 1987
Carol Schubert, a partner in Old River Veterinary Clinic, has been appointed to the City Council to complete the unexpired term of Don Simpson who resigned when he moved out of the city limits.
Janine Bonin scored 12 points to lead the Tracy High girls’ basketball team to a 30-28 win over Edison of Stockton.
A mess hall at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego has been named for Marine Cpl. Richard Duncan of Tracy, who was killed in action in Vietnam in 1967. He was awarded the Navy Cross posthumously.
About 400 people attended the Tracy Family Concert of the Stockton Symphony in Tracy Community Center.
50 years ago — 1962
The city planning commission has approved the development of Alex Spanos’ Delta Shopping Center at the southwest corner of Tracy Boulevard and Grant Line Road. Planners rejected another shopping center farther east on the north side of Grant Line Road.
Louis Villolovoz has been elected president of the Tracy Guadalupe Credit Union. He succeeds Arcadio Adame in the post.
Three-bedroom homes in the new Cabrillo Park subdivision north of Grant Line Road are selling at prices ranging from $12,700 to $15,150.
The late Rev. Thomas Fleming, former pastor of St. Bernard’s Catholic Church, left $34,000 in his will to the local parish.
Earle Williams has been elected to the board of Tracy Community Memorial Hospital.
75 years ago — 1937
A ruling by the state attorney general ruled Tracy’s so-called “vending machine ordinance” illegal. The ordinance, which the City Council viewed as a systematic means of collecting fees for slot machines, was disallowed because it taxed illegal activity.
The flu bug has hit Tracy-area schools. Many classes are half empty, and Jefferson School was closed.
100 years ago — 1911
E.F. Rinehart has been appointed the city’s night watchman, charged with guarding against burglaries of local businesses.
The Tracy Post Office is moving to the Arlington Opera House building on East Front (Sixth) Street.
The Southern Pacific has donated a carload of gravel to be spread over Tracy streets.
• Tracy Press archives