Twice-Told Tales: Trees felled in park
Jul 26, 2013 | 1222 views | 0 0 comments | 2 2 recommendations | email to a friend | print
10 years ago — 2003

Vandals cut down three fruitless-pear shade trees at Larsen Park on South Central Avenue.

A group of San Ramon Valley political activists have criticized Rep. Richard Pombo, R-Tracy, for not adequately representing constituents in the East Bay.

Tracy Senior National All-Stars were edged 3-2 in the regional championship game for 14-year-olds.

Fast Mortgage Inc. is offering refinancing of homes with a three-year fixed rate of 5.3 percent followed by 27 years of adjustable rates.

A new Tracy youth football team, the Cougars, is beginning practice sessions.

A multiday blood drive is helping a 4-year-old Tracy boy with leukemia.

An all-girl Tracy Tahitian drum group has taken first place in regional competition in San Jose.

Linens ’n Things is opening as the first store in the Pavilion shopping center, now anchored by Home Depot.



25 years ago — 1988

Jim Wright has come to Tracy from Los Angeles to be the new manager of the J.C. Penney Co. store at 10th and B streets. He succeeds Ken Smith, who has become Penney’s manager in Grass Valley.

Cool weather has delayed the start of tomato processing at the H.J. Heinz Co. factory until next week.

Members of St. Bernard’s Catholic Church are making plans to celebrate the 100th birthday of the parish. Original meetings were held at Tracy homes in 1888 and later at a small church building at Eighth Street and Central Avenue.

W.A. and Wayne Duckworth are proposing to open a cardroom in their pool hall on the second floor of the old Montgomery-Ward building at 11th and A streets.



50 years ago — 1963

Leroy Ornellas and Jeannie Deaderick were married in ceremonies at St. Bernard’s Catholic Church. The newlyweds honeymooned in Carmel and Southern California and are making their home on Lammers Road.

Former Tracy High standout lineman Jack “Ingo” Tillotson is working out with the South team in preparation for the Elks All-Valley Classic on Aug. 10 in the Lodi Grape Bowl.

The Tracy Police Department pistol team won first place in the Captain Weber Days competition in Stockton. Team members are Jim Cadle, Cloyce Brooksher, John Serpa and Aymon Hall.

Dedication ceremonies are being planned for the new Masonic Temple on McKinley Avenue (now Tracy Boulevard).

Dick Hobin, a member of Boy Scout Troop 503, has received his Eagle Scout medal in ceremonies at the First Presbyterian Church.



75 years ago — 1938

The high temperature in Tracy reached 111 degrees on July 20, breaking a 10-year-old record.

Members of the First Brethren Church have dedicated their church building at the corner of Parker Avenue and Beverly Place.

A new Purity Stores food market is being opened on 10th Street just east of Central Avenue.

Also scheduled to open is the Douglas Market on Central Avenue north of 10th Street. It is operated by Lindsay Douglas.



100 years ago — 1913

Following a fire that destroyed the Arlington Theatre on Sixth Street, owner C.A. Slack is making plans to rebuild.

John Droge, an experienced surveyor as well as merchant and developer, has checked out 4,000 acres near the Alameda County line for an irrigation district in the Bethany and Byron areas.

— Tracy Press archives

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage readers to share online comments in this forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a space for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Comments that stray from the topic of the story or are found to contain abusive language are subject to removal at the Press’ discretion, and the writer responsible will be subject to being blocked from making further comments and have their past comments deleted. Readers may report inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at tpnews@tracypress.com.