Twice-Told Tales: Road paving begins in 1912
by TP staff
Oct 11, 2012 | 2865 views | 0 0 comments | 6 6 recommendations | email to a friend | print
10 years ago — 2002

The 27-acre Tracy Sports Complex on West 11th Street is being opened for fall softball play. The complex has four softball diamonds and four soccer fields.

Construction has been started on the gateway fountain on the west side of Tracy at 11th Street and Lammers Road.

Officials of Save Mart Supermarkets have announced that the Modesto-based food store chain will open a store in the former Safeway location in the Gateway Plaza at 11th Street and Corral Hollow Road. Safeway has moved across 11th Street to a new store.

San Joaquin Delta College President Raul Rodriguez is recommending development of a smaller center at Mountain House instead of a full-scale campus.

Donald “Mel” Huck, former owner of the Old Douglas Market bar and restaurant, has died at the age of 69.

25 years ago — 1987

The Tracy High Band has called off its plans to take part in Expo ’88 in Brisbane, Australia, after fundraising efforts faltered.

Tracy High officials have banned off-campus “flower parties” to decorate homecoming floats after hearing reports of some parties “getting out of hand.”

South County Municipal Court Marshal Ralph Jessee has died of brain cancer at the age of 45.

A big third quarter helped the Tracy High Bulldogs smash Lincoln of Stockton, 35-6, on Peter B. Kyne Field. Tracy’s Todd Rickets ran 62 yards on a punt return for a touchdown.

Robert Rees ended a 33-year career with the California Department of Corrections in retiring as superintendent at Deuel Vocational Institution.

50 years ago — 1962

E.R. “Al” Alvord has retired as road foreman of engines with the Southern Pacific in Tracy. He ended 42 years with the railroad, all in Tracy.

Former Tracyite Rod Lauren (Roger Strunk) is appearing on the “Saints and Sinners” national television program.

El Solyo Ranch south of Vernalis is shipping green tomatoes from the former Covert packing shed in Carbona.

Tracy High’s football Bulldogs whipped Ceres, 41-0, at Ceres. Larry Minner capped the Bulldog scoring by using his rifle arm to toss a 26-yard touchdown pass to Steve Cerri.

75 years ago — 1937

Remodeling of the Tracy Inn has been completed, according to Jere Strizek, contractor. The hotel was opened on 11th Street in 1927.

Dr. C.E. Wilent, a local chiropractor, has been elected first chairman of the recently formed Tracy Planning Commission.

Mail delivery is scheduled to begin on Tracy’s Southside.

The Tracy High Bulldogs were crushed by the Modesto Panthers, 39-0, on the Modesto Junior College field.

100 years ago — 1912

Paving of Sixth Street and Central Avenue is scheduled to begin soon, according to city officials.

Construction of an irrigation system has been started on the Louis Titus property north of town. The water will be pumped from Tom Paine Slough.

— Tracy Press archives
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet

We encourage readers to share online comments in this forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a space for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Comments that stray from the topic of the story or are found to contain abusive language are subject to removal at the Press’ discretion, and the writer responsible will be subject to being blocked from making further comments and have their past comments deleted. Readers may report inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at