Twice-Told Tales: Clover to close
Jun 21, 2013 | 2660 views | 0 0 comments | 277 277 recommendations | email to a friend | print
10 years ago — 2003

Trustees of the Tracy Unified School District have voted to close Clover Middle School and turn the campus into the Tracy Learning Center, a district-sponsored charter school.

Rosie Nichols has retired as a crossing guard at Central School after 17 years.

Tracy High School Principal Mark Miller has resigned to be principal of Emery High School in Emeryville.

Don Howard, a Linden resident, is the new exalted ruler of the Tracy Elks Lodge.

Lincoln Park was the location of the Juneteenth celebration sponsored by the Tracy African-American Association.

Services have been held for Les Serpa Sr., a retired Tracy firefighter who served on the Tracy City Council.

Young basketball hopefuls are taking part in the 15th annual Steve Thornton summer basketball camp in the West High gym.

Present and past employees of Deuel Vocational Institution are celebrating the medium-security prison’s 50th anniversary of being located east of Tracy.

25 years ago — 1988

Tracy native Larry Nicholson is competing for the lone open position on the U.S. wrestling team for the upcoming Olympic Summer Games in Seoul, Korea.

Jack DeAngelis is retiring as automotive instructor at Tracy High School after 37 years in education.

George Johnson, superintendent-principal of New Jerusalem School for the past nine years, is leaving to be an administrator in a larger district in Stanislaus County.

Florin Georgescu and Suzanne Schlemmer have received the Efficiency Awards as the outstanding seniors in the Tracy High Class of 1988.

The number of Tracy residents working at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory has increased 31 percent in the past five years. The new total is 629 employees.

50 years ago — 1963

Claudio Lucero is the first winner of the George Parker Award, to be given annually to the outstanding member of the Tracy High track team. Lucero set a school record of 2 minutes, 5 seconds in the 880-yard run.

Brenda Luiz reigned as queen of the IPFES Holy Ghost celebration. Claudette Rebeiro was little queen.

Directors of Tracy Community Memorial Hospital have flashed the green light for a 26-bed addition to the hospital. The project is expected to cost $377,000.

Members of the Golden Anchor Boat Club celebrated the club’s 10th anniversary during a picnic at the club’s Stewart Park on Sugar Cut.

Attorney Alfred Souza has been named “Mr. Tracy” (now Citizen of the Year) at the annual Tracy Chamber of Commerce dinner.

75 years ago — 1938

Highway 50 between Paradise Cut and the San Joaquin River remains closed because of floodwaters from spring runoff.

Three murals by artist Edith Hamlin have been installed in the lobby of the Tracy Post Office.

Caroline Gomes is queen of the IPFES Holy Ghost celebration.

Earl Rhodes was seriously injured in a car crash near Mountain House.

100 years ago — 1913

City trustees (City Council) have decided to keep hitching posts on downtown streets. The Board of Trade had recommended their removal.

The Women’s Improvement Club has announced that the park developed by WIC volunteers is now open. The park is at the corner of 10th Street and Central Avenue on land owned by the Grunauer family.

— Tracy Press archives

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet

We encourage readers to share online comments in this forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a space for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Comments that stray from the topic of the story or are found to contain abusive language are subject to removal at the Press’ discretion, and the writer responsible will be subject to being blocked from making further comments and have their past comments deleted. Readers may report inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at