Court Roundup: Dog fighting defendants and accused mall shooter
by TP staff
Jul 19, 2014 | 4634 views | 0 0 comments | 38 38 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Dog fighting defendant refuses to pay lawyer

STOCKTON — Co-defendants Luther Brewer, Gracie Baldwin and Kenneth Baldwin have new attorneys to defend them against dog fighting charges, according to superior court documents.

Thirty-five-year-old Luther Baldwin; his 37-year-old wife, Gracie Baldwin; and 49-year-old Brewer, all of Tracy,

are charged with aiding, permitting and training

dog fighting. The Baldwins face additional charges of being present at dogfights, cultivating marijuana and possessing hash oil, a refined marijuana product.

According to San Joaquin County Superior Court documents, a motion was filed on behalf of lawyer Jesse Garcia to withdraw as Brewer’s attorney, effective June 30. The motion states that Brewer “deliberately refused to pay the required legal fees.”

A judge reportedly granted the motion, and Brewer’s case was assigned to public defender Rachel Voss.

Court documents also show that the Baldwins were assigned new defense attorneys Monday through lawyer referral.

Attorney Timothy Quinn said on Tuesday that he was assigned the day before to represent Gracie Baldwin, while Gregory Davenport was assigned as Kenneth Baldwin’s attorney. Previously handling the couple’s cases were attorneys Gus Barrera and Armando Villapudua, respectively.

It was unclear why the court assigned the Baldwins new attorneys.

The three defendants were in Stockton Superior Court on Monday for further arraignment, and their case was continued to 8:30 a.m. Aug. 20 in Department 35.

Brewer and the Baldwins remain out of custody, Brewer on his own recognizance and the Baldwins on $50,000 bail each.

Hearing for alleged mall shooter delayed

STOCKTON — A Tracy man accused of trying to murder three people outside of the West Valley Mall in December 2013 may go to trial in November, according to Deputy District Attorney Mark Ott.

Lorenzo Kiko Hotel, 18, charged with three counts of premeditated attempted murder and one count of shooting into an inhabited dwelling, was in San Joaquin County Superior Court in Stockton on Tuesday. He was there for arraignment after he was held to answer on his charges during a preliminary hearing July 2 in the Manteca branch of the court.

Ott informed Judge Franklin Stephenson on Tuesday that Hotel’s attorney, James Giller, wanted more time to review the preliminary hearing transcripts. He said they had agreed to continue the arraignment to Aug. 8, at which time they expected to set a trial date for November.

Ott said that he wouldn’t be available for the August hearing, but a representative of the district attorney’s office would stand in for him.

Stephenson granted the request and set the next court date at 10 a.m. Aug. 8 in Department 35.

Hotel remains in San Joaquin County Jail in French Camp without the possibility of bail.

• Contact Denise Ellen Rizzo at drizzo@tracypress.com or 830-4225.

 
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage readers to share online comments in this forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a space for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Comments that stray from the topic of the story or are found to contain abusive language are subject to removal at the Press’ discretion, and the writer responsible will be subject to being blocked from making further comments and have their past comments deleted. Readers may report inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at tpnews@tracypress.com.